- Downey, Gary Lee and Masanori Wada. “Avoiding Inferiority: Global Engineering Education in Japan. 2011. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Engineering Education, Vancouver, June.
- Downey, Gary Lee. “What Is Global Engineering Education For?: The Making of International Educators.” 2010. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Engineering Education, Louisville, June.
- Downey, Gary Lee and Juan C. Lucena. 2007. “Are Globalization, Diversity, and Leadership Variations of the Same Curricular Problem?” Proceedings of the First International Conference on Research in Engineering Education, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Lucena, Juan C. and Gary Lee Downey. “A Systemic Approach to Global Competency for Engineers.” 2006. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Engineering Education, Chicago, Illinois, June.
- Rosamond Parkhurst, Barbara M. Moskal, Gary Lee Downey, Juan C. Lucena, Thomas Bigley, and Sharon Ruff. 2006. “A Comparative Analysis of Online and In-class Versions of Engineering Cultures.” Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Engineering Education, Chicago, Illinois, June.
- Downey, Gary Lee, Juan C. Lucena, Barbara Moskal, Thomas Bigley, Chris Hays, Brent Jesiek, Liam Kelly, Jane Lehr, Jonson Miller, and Amy Nichols-Belo. 2005. “Engineering Cultures: Expanding the Engineering Method for Global Problem Solvers” Proceedings of the ASEE/AaeE 4th International Colloquium on Engineering Education, Sydney, Australia, September.
- Downey, Gary Lee and Juan C. Lucena. 2004. “National Identities in Multinational Worlds: Engineers and ‘Engineering Cultures.” Proceedings of the 9th annual World Conference on Continuing Education for Engineers, Tokyo, Japan, May.
- Lucena, Juan C. and Gary Lee Downey. 1999. “Engineering Cultures: Better Problem Solving through Human and Global Perspectives.” Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Engineering Education, Charlotte, North Carolina, June.
- Downey, Gary Lee. 1997. “Challenging the Dominant Image: Culture, Communication, Technology.” Proceedings of Aviation Communication: A Multi-Cultural Forum, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, Arizona. pdf
- Downey, Gary Lee. 2020, September 15. “Episode 1: Gary Downey on Global Engineering Competencies” [50 minutes]. Engineers for the World, a podcast production from the Academy for Global Engineering and the Institute for Policy and Governance. Blacksburg, Virginia: Virginia Tech.
OTHER ARTICLES (NON-REFEREED)
- Downey, Gary Lee and Zhihui Zhang. 2015. “Nonlinear STS, Engineering Studies, and Dominant Images of Engineering Formation: An Interview with Professor Gary Downey.” Journal of Engineering Studies 7(4) December: 332-348. (note: English-language version of Chinese text; journal in Chinese).
- Downey, Gary Lee. 2015 “Sperm Banking and Me: Transporting the Techno-social Question. Backchannels: Society for Social Studies of Science (official blog): October 15.
- Downey, Gary Lee. 2015. “Editor’s Introduction: Liberal Studies in Engineering,” Engineering Studies 7(2-3): 99-102.
- Henderson, Jennifer and Gary Downey. 2015. “What Happens behind the Forecast.” Roanoke Times (March 15).
- Downey, Gary. 2015. “Sperm Banking and Me.” Roanoke Times (February 1).
- Downey, Gary Lee. 2013. “Foreword” to Engineering Practice in a Global Context: Understanding the Technical and the Social, edited by Williams, Bill, José Figueiredo and James Trevelyan. Hoboken: CRC Press.
- Downey, Gary Lee. 2010. “What Is Global Engineering Education For?” Engineering Education Magazine (Korea), 17(2):16-18.
- Lucena, Juan C. and Gary Lee Downey. 2006 “Engineering Leadership: Problem Definition and Solution.” Mines: The Magazine of Colorado School of Mines 96(Fall)4: 20-21.
- Downey, Gary L. 1988. “The Invisible Engineer.” The California Engineer, 67(1): 30-31. pdf
- Downey, Gary L. 1985. “The States’ Role in HLW Decisionmaking: Who is the `State’ in the Federal/State Repository Siting Process?” The Radioactive Exchange 2(14):7-9. pdf
- Downey, Gary L. 1979. “The Quantification of Cultural Values and the Regulation of Capitalist Enterprise.” Cultural Anthropology Exchange 12(1):1-13, (national journal blind refereed by advanced graduate students and one University of Chicago faculty member).pdf
- Downey, Gary Lee. 2016. Review of Situated Intervention: Sociological Experiments in Health Care, by Teun Zuiderent-Jerak. Cambridge & London: The MIT Press. Published in Science & Technology Studies 29(1): 70-73.
- Downey, Gary L. 1985. Review of Energy for Developed and Developing Countries, edited by Behram N. Kursunoglu, Jean Couture, Andrew C. Millunzi, Arnold Permutter, and Linda Scott, Lexington, MA: Lexington Books; and A Global View of Energy, edited by Behram N. Kursunoglu, Andrew C. Millunzi, and Arnold Permutter, Lexington, MA: Lexington Books. Published in Technology and Culture 26(1):110-112.
- Downey, Gary L. 1985. Review of The Politics of Nuclear Waste, edited by E. William Colglazier, Jr., Elmsford, NY: Pergamon Press. Published in Technology and Culture 25(1):158-59. pdf
- Downey, Gary L. 1984. Review of Nuclear Waste: Socioeconomic Dimensions of Long-Term Storage, edited by Steve H. Murdock, F. Larry Leistritz, and Rita R. Hamm, Boulder, CO: Westview Press. Published in Technology in Culture 25(3):891-93. pdf